|Made in a small dutch kitchen, in Aalsmeer, NL|
- Crushed nuts like cashews, pecans, almonds or walnuts
- Melted coconut butter/oil
- Coconut shreds
- 1 can coconut milk (400ml)
- ½ cup (125 ml) half and half / pouring cream
- All the peels from a small lemon
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 2 large eggs
- 6 T (90 ml) coconut flour
- 2 T (30 ml) cornflour / maizena (can use arrowroot)
- 12 T (⅔ cup / 177 ml) raw sugar
|Straining out the lemon peel and cinnamon stick|
Break the eggs in a bowl and whisk them lightly. Add the flour, cornflour and sugar.
Strain the milk mixture to remove the cinnamon and lemon peels. Put the mixture back in the pot and add the batter. Now once again bring the mixture to medium heat, stirring vigorously so ensure no lumps form as the sauce thickens. Don't let it boil. Just enough the have the two mixtures smoothly combined.
Pour the mixture into the prepared pie dish. Bake for 25 minutes at 160° C / 320° F until the filling has set, but still a little wobbly in the middle. It should not start browning. It will set further in the fridge.
Sprinkle a little cinnamon powder on top. Can also finely grate some more lemon peel to sprinkle on top as well. Put the dish in the fridge for an hour and it will be ready to serve. We usually have tea or coffee with it, as the South African way. As an athlete a moment I contemplated putting some whey protein powder in the batter, but since its off season, held back.
Savour and Enjoy.