Monday, 18 July 2011

Shopping at Safeway - Reading Labels

I went shopping at Safeway last Sunday and felt exhausted at the end of the trip. Not being the usual place I shop, I really had to take my time and read all the labels. I just don't understand why there needs to be soy in tuna cans? The other ingredient I saw popping in alot of the almond milks and coconut milks is carrageenan. I see its a seaweed extract. But I have asked Nell Stephenson to check into this. She said she has emailed Dr. Loren Cordain himself. So I'm waiting for the answer. I really like shopping at Trader Joes and the Co-ops. Whole Foods and PCC are great too, but clear out the account quick.
With food labels, here are two easy rules for you to remember:
  1. If you can't pronounce it, don't buy it
  2. If it has more than 5 ingredients, its way too processed and I would leave it on the shelf.
>Nell got back to me on carrageenan. She emailed Dr. Loren Cordain who replied, and I quote, "I know virtually nothing about carageenan gum".

"I wouldn't worry about it in small, trace amounts... "

No comments:

Post a Comment